Training and Development
Leadership Development Program
The PMF Leadership Development Program (PMF LDP) is designed to
support the PMF's leadership journey during their two-year
fellowship. Participation in the PMF LDP will count towards their
training and developmental requirements.
In addition, the PMF LDP encourages the Fellow's supervisor and
Agency PMF Coordinator to be fully engaged. During the PMF LDP,
both supervisors and Agency PMF Coordinators will be invited to
participate. Additional details will be provided separately.
The PMF LDP is designed to accomplish the following:
- Deliver a premier developmental experience that equips the PMFs
for future leadership roles in 21st century government.
- Support Agency PMF Coordinators in fulfilling their roles as
guides to PMF development
- Support Agency PMF Hiring Managers and Supervisors in
fulfilling their roles as models and mentors
- Build a strong esprit de corps across each PMF Class through
Collaboration and Relationship Building
- Apply experiential learning methods to ensure learning
- Connect accomplished PMF Alumni with current PMFs to serve as
models, mentors and guides.
Each session will start with a cohort of Fellows and span over
an initial three-day training event. Each session will have a
capacity of 100-130 Fellows to accommodate the entire class while
maintaining an interactive learning environment. Additional
sessions will be scheduled as needed and remaining 2017 Fellows
will be notified via email from the PMF Program Office.
Program Overview Highlights
Year 1: Leading Self - The PMF
All Fellows will be expected to fully participate in a multi-day
orientation session to jumpstart the program. Full participation is
required in order to obtain credit for the Fellow's training and
developmental requirements, as well as obtain certification of
- Interpersonal Skills (Competency Assessments and debriefs)
- Oral and Written Communication (Experiential Learning)
- Integrity/Honesty (The role of a Government Leader- including
- Continual Learning (Assessment-based Individual Development
Plan (IDP) design, cohort-based learning and peer support,
quarterly skills development)
- Public Service Motivation (Understanding our Constitutional
form of Government)
- A full-day at the White House with Administration Leaders
- Agency PMF Coordinators and Supervisors will be invited to
Year 2: Leading Change
- Critical Thinking (Lean Six Sigma)
- Creative Thinking (Human Centered Design)
- Strategic Thinking (Process Improvement)
- Quarterly Networking Events with other Fellows and Alumni
- Mentoring Training for Supervisors
- Monthly Fellows' Community of Practice
Eligiblity to Participate
The PMF LDP is being offered to Fellows starting with the Class
of 2017 and going forward. Unfortunately, Fellows from classes
prior to 2017 are not able to participate; however, they will
continue to be invited to other PMF Program Office sponsored
training and developmental activities (e.g., Mt. Vernon, Quarterly
Networking Events, Speaker Series, etc.).
In order for a 2017 Fellow to participate in the PMF LDP:
- The Fellow must be already on board at their agency,
- The Agency PMF Coordinator has
- accurately entered the Fellows' appointment information in the
PMF Talent Management System (TMS) and
- Submitted the one-time placement fee to the PMF Program Office
for the Fellow.
The Fellow's Agency PMF Coordinator is responsible for
accurately recording PMF appointments in the PMF TMS and ensuring
the Fellow's program office has reimbursed the PMF Program Office
for the one-time placement fee. Fellows should not contact the PMF
Program Office to confirm eligibility to participate in the PMF
LDP; please contact your Agency PMF Coordinator.
The training tuition for the PMF LDP is included in the one-time
placement fee. However, any travel costs will be the Fellow's
appointing agency's responsibility.
How to Register
Current 2017 Fellows will be notified of additional information
and when to pre-register via email. After consulting with their
supervisors to gain approval to attend, Fellows may pre-register.
Once available, 2017 Fellows will be able to log into their
applicant user account on the Apply Site of the PMF TMS and click
the "PMF LDP Pre-Registration" button. The PMF Program Office will
validate pre-registrations and send a separate confirmation with
additional details prior to the scheduled training.
Fellows should not register to participate until they obtain
supervisory approval. Each agency has different policies and
procedures for an employee's training and development. Fellows may
need to consult their Agency PMF Coordinator for additional
Fellows should track their participation in the PMF LDP on their
Individual Development Plan (IDP).
NOTE: During the full-day White House
event, all participants must be pre-cleared to access the facility
due to security requirements. The confirmation email will contain a
link for Fellows to submit Personal Identifiable Information (PII)
ahead of time in order to access the facility. Such information
will include Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Full Legal
Name, Gender, etc.
We will be assembling a series of FAQs (Frequently Asked
Questions) that will either be posted here or distributed via email
to all parties. Please continue to check the webpage for any
updates as items are subject to change.